Abundant Living at Valley Oak

Friday, October 28, 2011

Giving your body what it needs...

Hello everyone,

I wanted to say thank you to my friends and family for their responses. Any help is much appreciated, and means the world to me.

Now on to the good stuff!
I know we will be looking at nutrition and its benefits in managing diabetes, however, I feel I must mention the one word that is taboo... Exercise... Yes, there I said it, I had to.
I can't stress how important exercise is to the management of diabetes. Exercise is one of the best things you can do for your body.

Our bodies were designed to work, and work is what it needs. Exercise helps to increase the metabolism. It dilates blood vessels and helps to decrease blood pressure. It helps the way our bodies process food during digestion. Exercise helps with weight loss. Finally, it is so important for those with diabetes, because it helps increase blood circulation to the limbs.

30 mins a day can make a huge difference. Studies show that exercise has a much greater effect on lowering blood sugar levels compared to diet alone. The two in combination work even better to bring down blood sugar levels.
So if you are able to exercise, give it a try!

The second thing your body needs is water. Most of us are dehydrated to some degree. If you are not getting enough water, your blood is much more concentrated which in turn increase your blood sugar levels. So proper hydration may help to lower your blood sugar levels to some degree.


Finally I want to ask you what type of questions do you have? Are there specific questions you have about managing diabetes? I don't know if I will be able to answer all the questions, but I will do my best.
This week I would like to talk about the forbidden foods, carbohydrates, I would like to look at why they are so critical in managing diabetes. I would like to answer questions you have about them. I will try to explain the difference between them.

I will be back tomorrow- when I am not so tired and hopefully my post will be much clearer.
Good night for now.

No comments: